Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Digital Natives or Immigrants: Do We Have to Fit in Either Category?

As I read through Marc Prensky’s Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants I felt as if I was completely in the dark as to the mindset of learners who could be defined as “digital natives.”  Being relatively new to education, his ideas of approach to “digital natives” versus “digital immigrants” immediately made me ponder my relationship with my students and how I have always understood how to convey concepts and theories instead of thinking how I could relate this knowledge to a generation that is primarily digitally focused.  Nothing was truer than his notion of the “digital immigrant accent” where we the individuals, having assimilated the digital life, need traditional safety nets in order to ensure the process is completed.  My example would be that I always announce to my class that I sent them a text and/or email, when in fact isn’t that what the “text” or “email” was designed to do?

Again, considering myself a novice in education, Prensky’s paper initially impressed me from a “Wow, I never heard it said that way before,” position.  I did quickly remember how much I love taking my students in the simulation lab and have them play out clinical scenarios on a life size manikin.  This is a great resource to learn from, but I started to re-evaluate my thinking, could I teach respiratory physics via a computer game and apply it to respiratory conditions and how those theories work together?  I think not.  Jamie McKenzie furthered that same line of thinking in her piece Digital Delusions and Digital Deprivation, where the argument is made that Prensky has over-simplified the understanding between those who have been brought up in this digital age and how a complete different methodology is necessary to educate this demographic. 

Professor Thomas Reeves stated, “media comparison studies have failed to find evidence for the differential effectiveness for one educational technology over another.” Laying out the foundation, one would express to someone that held “digital natives” to be a demographic that has to be educated through completely “new” methods.  The old adage of having many ways to skin a rabbit applies to the myriad of ways that could be applied to education or the many ways of how students learn, and that’s where WE come in.  From my perspective, it is my duty to find a way for that student to learn.  I always start off by telling my learner(s) as they are having a problem in answering a problem, “No it’s not you, maybe I haven’t asked you the right question yet.”  As I continue to learn to be a better educator, the differences between digital native and immigrant has to be a factor worth investigating but it must be strongly emphasized, it doesn’t have to be the only factor.  

3 comments:

  1. Your digital immigrant accent example made me think of my aunt. She posts on Facebook and always signs her posts. Um.... It always makes me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't include it, but I wanted to share the torturous story of teaching my parents how to use their first "smart phone," to this day I still get phone calls about, "how do I..." or "I lost that little..." and my favorite, "I don't know....it just turned off." These individuals need to have a blend of teaching methods utilized to ensure understanding, I just wish I patience..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,psoriasis,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.(measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria),Chronic Diarrhea,
    Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com. even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete